Friday, May 2, 2008

Green is the New Black

Earth Day was on April 22nd. And though I'm a little late, I thought I'd take this opportunity to recap the changes that I've been convicted to make this past year, followed by the changes that I would like to make over the next year.

Earth-friendly changes over the past year:

  • Finally went back to recycling (The poopy owners of our apt wouldn't budge on spending only a few extra dollars a month for curbside recycling...thus, my neighbor and I forged together and set up recycling bins in our shared basement. We alternate taking the recycling to a drop-off site in Kirkwood. We refused to let the man keep us down!)
  • Switched entirely to cloth napkins
  • Cut down considerably on the use of paper towels
  • Switched from disposable dusters to a micro-fiber, reusable duster
  • Almost entirely cut out disposable tableware (plates, etc.)
  • Started using reusable grocery bags, inspired almost entirely by Trader Joe's
  • Started making some of my own natural cleaning supplies (see previous post)
  • Started using mostly natural personal products (baking soda instead of shampoo, vinegar instead of conditioner, etc.)
  • Began to stop and think more and more about how my daily habits affect God's earth...an overall shift in my thinking this past year

Changes I would like to make over the coming year:

  • Switch from disposable feminine hygiene products to the "Diva-Cup"
  • Cut down considerably on disposable baggies by using products such as this one
  • Switch from disposable kitchen sponges to dish rags (that's right, folks, I have no dishwasher...and it sucks)
  • Buy more reusable bags for shopping...and actually remember to take them with me every time!
  • Cut out paper towels entirely
  • Switch from plastic water bottles to stainless-steel bottles, like these

I thank the Lord that He laid on my heart the desire to be more responsible with the resources He's blessed us with. Apart from Him, I'm helpless to do any of this...to Him be the glory!

"The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world and all who live in it." Psalm 24:1

No comments: