- 1 lb. (approx.) French bread, cut into cubes
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1-3/4 to 2 cups milk (I substitute almond milk or soy milk, with good results)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, 3/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; pour evenly over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Combine melted butter and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar; drizzle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30-35 minutes, until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Allow it to cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8 servings